Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Time: 8:00 p.m. CT
Location: Minneapolis, Minn.
Arena: Williams Arena (14,625)
Series: 159th Meeting (65-93)*
Series (Home): 79th Meeting (44-34)*
Current Streak: L-3
Richard Pitino vs. Indiana: 1-3
Minnesota vs. Big Ten: 741-809*
Richard Pitino vs. Big Ten: 24-47
* – excludes vacated games
• Winners of three straight, the Minnesota men’s basketball team returns for its first two-game Big Ten homestand this week, beginning with Indiana on Wednesday night in the two squads’ only meeting of the regular season.
• With a record of 18-7 to date, the Gophers are the NCAA’s most improved team (as of Feb. 14). The Gophers have also now tallied four road wins in conference play, their most since 2004-05 when they also won four games away from home in the Big Ten.
• In the latest edition of the NCAA Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) as of Feb. 14, the Gophers stand in 25th place. Minnesota is the fourth-highest ranked Big Ten team in the RPI rankings, behind Purdue (19th), Maryland (21st) and Wisconsin (24th).
• Redshirt junior Reggie Lynch sits among the nation’s leaders in blocked shots. The Edina, Minn. native now has 77 blocks on the season, leading both the team and the Big Ten Conference and third nationally with an average of 3.2 blocks per game. He is spearheading the Minnesota team blocking effort which leads the Big Ten and ranks second in Division I at 6.7 blocks per game. Lynch is also steadily moving up the single-season records, as he is currently sixth among all-time Gophers in blocked shots. Randy Breuer holds the record of 87 blocks in the 1982-83 season.
• Jordan Murphy was earned Big Ten Co-Player of the Week honors Monday – his first time receiving the honor, following a pair of top freshman weekly awards last season, and the fourth award for the Gophers this season. The San Antonio, Texas native led the Gophers to a pair of victories last week over Iowa and Rutgers, posting double-doubles in each game highlighted by a career-high 25 points vs. Iowa.
MNN Sports Director Mike Grimm chatted with Gopher coach Richard Pitino about his team’s three-game winning streak: