MINNESOTA (10-2, 3-2 BT) vs MICHIGAN (9-0, 4-0 BT)
Wednesday, January 6
7:30 p.m. CT
Ann Arbor, Mich. (Crisler Center)
153rd Meeting (61-91 all-time record)*
At Michigan: 20-55*
Current Streak: W-1
Richard Pitino vs. Michigan: 2-10
Minnesota vs. Big Ten: 777-855*
Richard Pitino vs. Big Ten: 56-87
* – excludes vacated games
• Minnesota will play No. 10 Michigan twice in the next 10 days, the first coming Wednesday in Ann Arbor, Mich. Minnesota is 61-91 all-time against the Wolverines. The Gophers won their last competition against Michigan, Jan. 12, 2020 at Williams Arena. That win snapped a five-game Michigan win streak from March 11, 2017 to March 16, 2019. Daniel Oturu scored a career-high 30 points and Minnesota went on a late 11-0 run to beat then-No. 19 Michigan 75-67.
• Minnesota leads the conference in wins over teams currently ranked in the January 4 poll with three. Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois have two apiece. Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin each have three wins over teams ranked on the date of the game.
• Minnesota is coming off a 77-60 victory over then-No. 25 Ohio State on Sunday. Liam Robbins had 27 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks, while Marcus Carr added 15 points and Gabe Kalscheur scored 13. Both Gach and Jamal Mashburn, Jr., also added 10 points each.
• Liam Robbins is averaging 2.8 blocked shots per game. That average tops the Big Ten and ranks 14th nationally. He also is third nationally in total blocks at 34. Against Wisconsin and Michigan State, Robbins had three each game, while he tied his Minnesota best of five against Ohio State. Overall, he averages 3.2 against league opponents.
• Marcus Carr continues to rank high nationally and within the Big Ten. Carr averages 22.1 ppg, which ranks 16th nationally and fourth in the Big Ten. His 5.9 assists per game ranks first in the league and 28th nationally. He also averages 36 minutes played, which also tops the Big Ten and 48th nationally, while his 430 total minutes ranks second in Division I. Carr also averages 2.5 three-pointers per game, good for fifth in the league.
Gopher head coach Richard Pitino gives us a scouting report on Michigan:
(info and photo courtesy of Gopher Sports)