MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES 126, GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS 114
April 29, 2021
• Anthony Edwards finished the night with 25 points on 10-of-19 shooting, including 3-of-6 from deep, five rebounds and three assists, marking his 14th 25+ point game of the season, leading all NBA rookies (no rookie has more than five such games). Edwards tallied 18 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter, tying a season-high for points in a quarter.
• Edwards finishes the month of April averaging 21.6 points on 43.7 percent shooting, including connecting on 44 three-pointers, 5.1 rebounds and 3.3 assists. The 44 three-pointers are the most by a rookie in NBA in a single month, passing Landry Shamet who made 43 in March of 2019.
• With 22 points and a game-high 11 rebounds, Karl-Anthony Towns registered his 24th 20+ point/10+rebound game of the season (203rd career). Towns added seven assists tonight, notching his 12th 20+ point/10+ rebound/5+ assist game of the season (47th career).
• Ricky Rubio notched his fourth 20+ point game of the season, tallying a season-high 26 points, including 10 points in the third quarter, on 7-of-13 shooting, including a season-high-tying 5-of-7 from deep. Tonight was the sixth time in Rubio’s career connecting on 5+ triples and was one off of his career-high of six three-pointers, set on Jan. 30, 2017 vs. Orlando.
• Rubio added six rebound, six assists and two steals, notching his eighth career game with 20+ points/5+ assists/5+rebounds/2+ steals and became the 10th Timberwolves player to record such stat line in eight games or more.
• With tonight’s win over Golden State, the Timberwolves have four straight games, the team’s first four-game winning streak since Nov. 23-28, 2018. The four-game winning streak ties the Brooklyn Nets for the longest active streak in the NBA.
• Tonight’s win also marked the 1,000th win in Wolves franchise history.
• Minnesota hauled down a season-high 57 rebounds, outrebounding the Warriors 57-34. Tonight was the 46th time in team history snagging 57+ rebounds in a game
• The Timberwolves connected on season-high 20 three-pointers tonight, the fourth time in franchise history making 20+ made threes.
• Led by D’Angelo Russell’s eight assists and Towns’ seven, Minnesota dished out 31 assists, their 11th game with 30+ assists.
• Stephen Curry led Golden State, finishing with a game-high 37 points his 31st game this season with 30+ points.
TIMBERWOLVES HEAD COACH CHRIS FINCH
On change in mindset and belief…
“Everyone in the rotation right now is in a good spot. Every night someone else is stepping up for us and it’s showing great confidence and belief in each other and picking each other up. Defense is really solid and continues to be solid. Steph had 37 but he really had to work, all credit to our guys there. We just need to keep building and that’s what it’s about.”
On Ricky Rubio’s ability to hit big shots…
“Ricky is a good shooter when shots come to him in the flow of the offense and that’s what he did. He did a really good job of running the game – the ball moved and we found him, KAT did a good job of finding him when they were doubling or crowding KAT and he (Ricky) made some big ones for us in a timely way.”
TIMBERWOLVES GUARD RICKY RUBIO
On his performance tonight…
“Felt good from the beginning. I was struggling the last week, I would say, then found my rhythm again. It felt good, we are playing really good as a team and we are going to finish the season strong.”
On Anthony Edwards’ fourth quarter…
“Huge. He can be that type of guy that when our offense is struggling, we can go to him and get a bucket, but he can score in a lot of ways, to the rim, mid-range, three. When he has it going, it is hard to guard him. So, we demand more from him because he has it, we will keep doing it.”
(info courtesy of Timberwolves)