>>Man charged with triple murder in Coon Rapids, authorities say drug-dealing involved
(Anoka, MN) — A man from (the Minneapolis suburb of) Fridley is charged in a triple murder in nearby Coon Rapids on Friday that investigators say was tied to drug dealing by one of the victims. 37-year-old Alonzo Mingo remains jailed in lieu of five million dollars bail after a court appearance today (Mon). Authorities say one of the people Mingo fatally shot, 39-year-old Mario Trejo Estrada, had been trafficking in cocaine, fentanyl and meth, and sending large amounts of money to people in Mexico. The criminal complaint alleges Mingo also shot Estrada’s wife and her son. Two children under age 5 were in the home at the time but not physically harmed.
>>Ricky Cobb family attorneys speak out after court appearance for state trooper charged in his murder
(Minneapolis, MN) — Attorneys for the family of Ricky Cobb the Second spoke out today (Mon) after the first court appearance of State Trooper Ryan Londregan, accused of unintentional second degree murder for fatally shooting Cobb during a traffic stop. Civil rights attorney Bakari Sellers says bodycam video is “like watching a train wreck. No one tried to de-escalate the situation…. Trooper Ryan Londregan pulled the trigger, but he’s not the only one responsible for Ricky Cobb’s death.” But Imran Ali with the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association says the trooper’s use of force was justified when Cobb drove away. “Both troopers were dragged,” he says. “We could have had both troopers in this case deceased.”
>>Food bank announces initiative to cut hunger in Minnesota in half by 2030
(Undated) — “Make Hunger History. A bold, moonshot goal to cut hunger in half for all Minnesotans by 2030″ — an initiative announced today (Mon) by Second Harvest Heartland and other food shelf partners. They’re urging communities, policymakers, and business leaders to increase access to emergency food and prevent hunger across the state. Second Harvest C-E-O Allison O’Toole Minnesota says food shelves are breaking records — and not the good kind. “Food shelf visits have doubled since 2021,” she says. “Last year we saw seven-and-a-half million visits to food shelves, and that’s up from five-and-a-half million the year before. We can do better.” So far, Minnesota-based Cargill and Target have each pledged $10 million in support of the multi-year plan. Anyone interested in donating, volunteering, or advocating can learn more at 2harvest.org.
>>Prominent attorney sentenced to prison in beating death of ex-wife
(Warren, MN) — A northwestern Minnesota judge has sentenced a high-profile former attorney to 18 years in prison for the beating death of his ex-wife at her home in Warren — part of a plea agreement between Marshall County prosecutors and 33-year-old Anders Odegaard. Two of the couple’s children witnessed the attack in August 2022 and 31-year-old Carissa Odegaard died at a Fargo hospital. Her ex-husband pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, in exchange for a charge of second-degree intentional murder being dismissed. Odegaard at one time was an assistant North Dakota attorney general and a lawyer for the North Dakota Insurance Department.
>>U-S Rep Stauber launches re-election bid
(Undated) — Republican Congressman Pete Stauber is announcing he’s running for re-election in Minnesota’s 8th District, saying in his launch video today (Mon), “Though we face economic challenges imposed on us by the lack of leadership in the White House, our resolve remains unbroken.” Stauber has repeatedly blasted the Biden administration for its stance on proposed new mines in northern Minnesota, which environmentalists warn will threaten the B-W-C-A Wilderness. The 2024 election could be a rematch in the 8th Congressional District. Democrat Jen Schultz announced last week she’s again challenging Stauber, after losing by about 15 points in 2022. Stauber says he’ll widen his margin this fall.
>>Democratic challenger blasts Stauber’s record as he announces re-election bid
(Duluth, MN) — Democratic challenger Jen Schultz is blasting 8th District Republican Congressman Pete Stauber’s record in Congress as he announces his bid for re-election today (Mon). Schultz says Stauber has been in Congress for five years and “has nothing to show for it.” She says Stauber just last week tried to take credit for the billion-dollars in federal money to replace the aging Blatnik Bridge, after voting against the major infrastructure package that’s funding it. Stauber in 2021 called the infrastructure measure part of a bloated tax-and-spend bill, but said last week after it became the law of the land he fought “to bring federal dollars back to Minnesota projects.”
>>State Human Services Department releases first-ever Assisted Living Report Card
(St. Paul, MN) — The Minnesota Department of Human Services released today (MON) a new resource for Minnesotans looking at assisted living. Assistant Commissioner Natasha Merz says, “The Assisted Living Report Card is a tool that provides really a one-stop shop for consumers who want to look at assisted living and find out what the resident quality of life is like and what the family satisfaction is like.” Merz says the report card currently features ratings for about 20 percent of the state’s assisted living facilities with only more to come as the website develops. (https://alreportcard.dhs.mn.gov/)
>>Canadian Living in MN Indicted in Murder-for-Hire Plot
(Minneapolis, MN) — A Canadian man residing in Minnesota, plus another Canadian national and an Iranian national, have been indicted in connection with a murder-for-hire scheme. Court documents say 49-year-old Naji Zindashti, 43-year-old Damion Ryan and 29-year-old Adam Pearson used an encrypted messaging service to orchestrate an assassination plot against two people in Maryland. But U-S Attorney Andrew Luger says, “Thanks to the skilled work of federal prosecutors and law enforcement agents, this murder-for-hire conspiracy was disrupted, and the defendants will face justice.”
>>Suspicious Package Reported Near Burnsville Fire Station Deemed Safe
(Burnsville, MN) — A suspicious package found near a Burnsville Fire Station this afternoon has been deemed safe. A concerned community member reported it and a one-block area around the fire station was evacuated. The Bloomington Police Department’s bomb squad deemed the package posed no threat or hazard.
>>Alice Cooper & Rob Zombie Coming to Xcel Energy Center in August
(St. Paul, MN) — Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie are bringing their “Freaks on Parade” tour to Minnesota this summer. The horror rockers are performing at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul on August 25th. Ministry and Filter are the opening acts on the summer tour. Tickets for Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie go on sale to the public on Friday at 10 am at livenation.com.