Investigators say there’s no indication it was intentional when a tanker-truck drove into a group of protesters on the I-35W bridge Sunday afternoon — and authorities call it a miracle there are no reported injuries. State Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington says the driver — a 35-year-old man from Otsego — was speeding, saw the crowd and panicked. Harrington says “He just kept barreling forward, and then he saw what he describes, and this is what I’m hearing, a young woman on bike fall down in front of him and he slammed on the brakes, and he slid for a certain period of time until the vehicle stopped.”
Harrington say it happened as MN-DOT was closing the freeway earlier than planned because of demonstrations sparked by the death of George Floyd, and that the driver might not have realized it was closed. At last report the man remained jailed on suspicion of assault but no charges had been filed.