The DNR is asking hunters who harvest deer in southeastern Minnesota to have the deer sampled for chronic wasting disease (CWD).
Officials say CWD is expanding in Iowa and Wisconsin, so they’re conducting surveillance with the goal of collecting 36-hundred samples. The DNR’s Adam Murkowski says “Minnesota’s very fortunate to have a healthy deer heard and it’s critically important that hunters contribute to our efforts to monitor the health and promote the health of Minnesota’s deer herd.”
CWD, which is always fatal, and is caused by an abnormal protein that affects the deer’s brain.
Deer check stations where CWD surveillance is occurring are listed below (stations with * by their names will be open the entire week of the 3A season.). Hunters also can check the DNR website for updated information.
- Bissen’s Tavern, 202 S. Third, Brownsville.
- Caledonia True Value, 520 Old Highway Drive, Calendonia.*
- Rhino’s Archery, 31821 64th Ave., Cannon Falls.
- Magnum Sports, 21 First St., Chatfield.*
- Elba Valley Express, 1105 S. Main St., Elba.*
- Mauer Brother’s Tavern, 1200 S. Main St., Elba.
- Holiday Station Store #3563, 1500 Vermillion St., Hastings.
- Main Street Saloon, 56 Main St., Hokah.
- Houston Amoco Food Shop, Highway 16 E., Houston.*
- Kasson Hardware Hank, 11 Fourth St. SE., Kasson.
- Prairie Bait Shop, 705 Dodge St., Kellogg.
- Pump for Less/Southside Corner, 101 Kistler Drive, La Crescent.
- BP Gas, 100 Sheridan W., Lanesboro.*
- Lewiston Hardware Hank, 400 Debra Drive, Lewiston.
- Mabel BP, MN-44, Mabel.
- Becklund’s Auto Repair and Towing, 500 Bridge St., Millville.
- Eagle View Bar and Grill, 208 Bennett Ave., Minneiska.
- Greenway Cooperative, 100 North Main St., Pine Island.
- Kreofsky Building Supply, 865 Enterprise Drive SW., Plainview.
- 4 Season’s Sport Shop, 2301 W Main St., Red Wing.*
- Gander Mountain-Rochester, 3470 55th St. NW., Rochester.
- Archery Headquarters, 3440 Northern Valley Place NE., Rochester.
- Rollingstone Mini Mart, 555 MN-248, Rollingston.
- Pam’s Corner Convience, 105 State Highway 16, Rushford.*
- Good Sport Liquor/Bar N Grill, 149 E. Sixth St., St. Charles.
- River Valley Outfitters, 1023 Hiawatha Drive W., Wabasha.
- Mills Fleet Farm, 920 US-61, Winona.*
- Witoka Tavern, 27999 County Road 9, Witoka*.
- Gas and Goodies, 104 E. Front St. Box 155, Wykoff.
- Neptune Bar and Grill, 468 MN-60, Zumbro Falls.
Additionally, the DNR is working with area taxidermists to help collect CWD samples. There are currently eight taxidermists helping and hunters are asked to work with them as well. They are:
- Corcoran’s Taxidermy, Hampton, 651-437-5256.
- Bridley Taxidermy, Mazeppa, 507-843-2105.
- Larry’s Taxidermy, Stewartville, 507-533-8710.
- M&M Taxidermy, Chatfield, 507-696-8588.
- Reed’s Taxidermy, Mantorville, 507-635-5837.
- Vold’s Taxidermy, Rochester, 507-202-0616.
- Willard’s Taxidermy, Brownsville, 507-482-9453.
- Norton’s Lost Arrow Taxidermy, Rushford, 507-864-7508.