MINNESOTA AT FLORIDA STATE – Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Date: Monday, November 28, 2016
Time: 6:00 p.m. CT
Location: Tallahassee, Fla.
Arena: Donald L. Tucker Center (12,500)
Series: 11th Meeting (6-4)
Series (Away): Fifth Meeting (2-2)
Current Streak: W-3
Richard Pitino vs. FSU: 2-0
Minnesota vs. ACC: 38-20*
Richard Pitino vs. ACC: 4-2
* – excludes vacated games
• The Minnesota men’s basketball team departs the friendly confines of Williams Arena for the first time this season on Monday, traveling to Tallahassee for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge against Florida State. This will be the sixth meeting between these two teams in the event.
• Amir Coffey was named the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Week on Nov. 21 after a scoring barrage in his first full week as a Gopher, and he continued the trend against Arkansas and SIU. Coffey led the team in both games with 19 and 13 points, respectively, and is leading the team and second among Big Ten freshmen, and ranked 10th in the Big Ten (as of Nov. 26) at 15.8 points per game.
• The Gophers have started the season with six straight victories, marking their first 6-0 start since the 2011-12 season. Minnesota has not won its first seven games since the 12-0 start in 2008-09.
• Reggie Lynch blocked nine shots in the St. John’s game, third among all-time Gopher single-game performances, part of an 11-block team effort by the Gophers. Minnesota has not had double-digit blocks since Nov. 21, 2013 (12 vs. Wofford), and leads the Big Ten in blocks per game (7.0), ranking 15th in the country. Lynch is eighth nationally and leading the Big Ten, as of November 26.
• The Gophers have amassed a record of 33-39 against the current membership of the Atlantic Coast Conference, excluding vacated games. Series records vs. ACC teams are as follows: 2-1 vs. Clemson, 1-2 vs. Duke, 6-4 vs. Florida State, 2-1 vs. Georgia Tech, 3-2 vs. Louisville, 1-1 vs. Miami, 2-2 vs. UNC, 0-2 vs. N.C. State, 8-14 vs. Notre Dame, 1-2 vs. Pittsburgh, 1-1 vs. Syracuse, 2-4 vs. Virginia, 1-0 vs. Virginia Tech, 4-3 vs. Wake Forest. Minnesota has faced all but one of the 15 ACC schools at least one time, with Boston College the outlier.
(info courtesy of Gopher Sports)