Date: Oct. 30, 2020
Time: 6:30 p.m. CT
Site: College Park, Md.
Stadium: Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium
Capacity: 51,802 (except 2020)
Series: Maryland 3-2
Streak: Minnesota W1
Last: Minnesota won 52-10 on Oct. 26, 2020, at TCF Bank Stadium
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
1. Minnesota takes to the road for the time this season when it travels to Maryland for a Friday night game against the Terrapins. The Gophers are 2-3 all-time against Maryland and are playing the Terps for the fifth straight season. Minnesota and Maryland wrap up a six-year cohort of playing one another in Minneapolis in 2021. Minnesota posted Big Ten wins in 2016 (31-10) and 2019 (52-10) against the Terrapins. The Gophers are 1-1 all-time at Maryland, having won there in 2016. The Gophers beat Maryland 52-10 last season at home. In that game, Minnesota controlled the ball for 42:53 seconds, ran 30 more plays (76 to 46) than the Terps and out-gained Maryland 498-210. Minnesota totaled 321 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns and also passed for 177 yards and two touchdowns. The teams first met in the 1977 Hall of Fame bowl, which saw the Terps beat the Gophers 17-7 in Birmingham, Ala.
2. Mohamed Ibrahim has played in 22 career games and has rushed for 1,904 yards and 18 touchdowns. The Baltimore, Md., native is 96 yards shy of becoming the 17th Gopher all-time to reach 2,000 career rushing yards. He also needs two more rushing touchdowns to rank tied for 12th in school history with 20 rushing touchdowns (Shannon Brooks, David Cobb, Jim Carter, Paul Giel, Billy Bye and Shorty Almquist all ended their careers with 20 rushing touchdowns). Ibrahim’s seven career 100-yard rushing games ranks tied for 14th in school history (one more would tie him for 11th). Ibrahim rushed 26 times for 140 yards and two touchdowns against Michigan.
3. Rashod Bateman caught a career-high nine passes for 101 yards against Michigan. He now has 120 career receptions for 2,024 yards. He ranks 11th in school history in receptions and is eighth in receiving yards. Bateman is 31 receiving yards shy of moving into seventh place in school history. His eight career 100-yard games ranks him tied for fifth in school history with Ron Johnson, who played for the Baltimore Ravens from 2002-04. Bateman has 10 catches for 107 yards and two touchdowns in two career games against Maryland (first career TD came at Maryland in 2018).
4. Minnesota is 13-3 in its last 16 games (wins against Auburn, Fresno State, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Maryland, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, South Dakota State and Wisconsin). Minnesota’s 13-3 mark is second in the Big Ten behind Ohio State (15-1). Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin are 12-4 and Michigan is 10-6. Indiana is 9-7 and Michigan State is 8-8. Nebraska is 7-9 and Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern are 6-10. Maryland and Rutgers are 3-13.
5. Preston Jelen blocked a punt against Michigan in the first quarter and Minnesota scored two plays later (Morgan 14 yards to Kieft). The blocked punt was the first for the Gophers since Justus Harris did so a Friday night against Indiana on Oct. 26, 2018 (U scored a TD three plays later).
GOPHER QB TALKS
Gopher quarterback Tanner Morgan visited with MNN sports director Mike Grimm: