MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES 112, NEW YORK KNICKS 110
January 18, 2022
• Karl-Anthony Towns scored the go-ahead and-1 layup with 29.3 seconds left in the fourth quarter to give the Timberwolves the 112-110 win on Tuesday night. Towns finished the game with 20 points on 6-of-12 shooting, including 2-of-4 from deep and 6-of-7 from the free throw line, his fifth straight 20+ point game and 30th of the season (298th career).
• Towns scored 11 of his 20 points in the first quarter, on 4-of-6 shooting, including 2-of-3 from deep, his 11th 10+ point first quarter of the season. Minnesota moves to 9-2 on the season when Towns scored 10 or more points in the first quarter.
• Anthony Edwards added a team-high 21 points on 8-of-17 shooting, his 23rd 20+ point game of the season (59th career). Over his last 10 games (all since returning from health and safety protocols), Edwards is averaging 22.5 points on 46.8% shooting.
• Scoring 11 of his 14 points in the fourth quarter, Jaylen Nowell tallied his 13 double-figuring scoring effort of the season. Nowell’s 11 points in the fourth quarter tied his season-high in the final frame (Dec. 27 vs. Boston) and marked his sixth career 10+ point fourth.
• With Edwards (21) and Towns (20) each scoring 20+ points, tonight marked the 15th game in which both Edwards and Towns scored 20+ points in the same game, tied for the second-most games in the NBA this season of that kind by two teammates. DeMar DeRozan and Zach LaVine (Chicago) have 23 such games, and Kevin Durant and James Harden (Brooklyn) have 15 such games.
• The Timberwolves forced 18 Knicks turnovers, the 40th straight game forcing10+ opponent turnovers, extending the NBA’s longest active streak.
• Minnesota connected on a season-high 29 free throws, while going to the line a season-high 38 times.
• Led by Nowell’s 14 points, the Timberwolves bench outscored New York’s 43-18, the largest points differential (+25) among bench scoring this season for Minnesota. Tonight marked the 14th time this season Minnesota’s bench has scored 40+ points (8-6 when doing so).
(info courtesy of Timberwolves)